In honour of Murdered and Missing Indigenous Women – a collection of links to media resources: written articles, downloadable anthologies, and video & audio of interviews and public talks.
2015 marks the 10th year of SIS vigils on October 4th honouring the lives of MMIW.
((UPDATE: removed descriptions and links for 2015 event listings))
The following media are either produced by me, or alternatively are from events or projects where I was a member of the group involved in hosting/producing it.
- Feature: Murdered & Missing Indigenous Women and Girls, Two-Spirit and Trans People, and Men (The Leveller newspaper, 2015)
Update 2018: Segment on Murdered and Missing Men (and Boys) has been updated and published as a stand-alone article
- Sisters in Spirit vigils honour missing and murdered women – and call for change (Anishinabek News, 2014)
- Vigils honour missing and murdered Aborignal women in Canada (rabble.ca, 2012)
- Honouring Indigenous Women: Hearts of Nations (Indigenous Peoples Solidarity Movement Ottawa / The Sound of My Heart collective):
Volume 1 (2011) – 8.5×14 pdf & 8.5×11 pdfs: insert 1, insert 2, insert 3
Volume 2 (2012) – 8.5×11 pdf
VIDEO – PUBLIC TALKS
- The Law’s Role in Canada’s Disgrace: Murdered & Missing Indigenous Women & Girls (2015, University of Ottawa Faculty of Law: Shirley E. Greenberg Chair speaker series)
Speaker: Pamela Palmater.
Videos posted here.
- SEEKING JUSTICE: A National Call for a Public Inquiry for the Murdered and Missing Indigenous Women (2010, as part of Indigenous Sovereignty Week – Ottawa)
The speakers were Sharon McIvor, Maria Jacko, and Yasmin Jiwani.
Videos posted here.
AUDIO – PUBLIC TALKS
- The Epidemic of Continuing Violence against Indigenous Women (2009, hosted by Indigenous Peoples Solidarity Movement Ottawa)
Speakers were Sylvia Smith, Verna McGregor, Kate Rex of NWAC, Derek James, Doreen Silversmith of the No More Silence Network, and Bruce Sinclair and Steve Martin of Brothers In Spirit.
Audio posted here.
VIDEO – INTERVIEWS